Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vegas on the Road

We are coming into the season when things start happening faster than I can blog them, mostly because it becomes nearly impossible to blog as frequently.  So many fun family events, special holidays, birthdays, etc.  

While that "season" hasn't started yet, I find that I am still behind, so I know I better catch up in a hurry!    I love blogging, but sometimes its hard to squeeze it in.  Sometimes I find myself trying to do less with it, but then I think about how very quickly time has gone, is going, will go and that makes me desperately want to keep it up so I will have my blog books as keepsakes to read about and remember this time when they are challenging teenagers or grown and gone.  I've already proven that I can't rely on my memory alone.  So...I shall do my best to keep up.  :)

The little, silly things are my favorite.  Like today in the car.

Avery: Amanda, you have to sit right in the car in case the air bag goes off.
Amanda: What's an air bag?
Avery: (slightly exasperated) You know...that thing on Jonah [she listed another...can't remember] Veggie Tales.  The thing that comes out on Bob and Larry!

So what was I saying?  Oh yes!  I have lots more posting to do before I have LOTS more posting to do.

Lost in Vegas!  Shaun, along with a group of about 35 others, spent the month of October working so very hard to get everything ready to take the show on the road....we're talking hours.  Then we had the untimely "Winter" storm and the first weekend of performances was cancelled.

On Monday they all went and torn down everything they'd worked so hard to put up and loaded up the trailer.  Tuesday morning, Nov 1, Shaun and Amanda left the house at 4:30 AM to drive down to Virginia, the next destination for performances.

Amanda went with Shaun often to rehearsals...Shaun would always go out of his way to have her along, just to get extra time with her, and she was thrilled to be included since she has no school night curfew.

On Thursday evening, after Avery got out of school, we spent 20 minutes tossing things into a suitcase and, after meeting up with some friends, headed down to be with them.  Thankfully Tami is good with driving and directions, so we got there without any trouble.
When we pulled in at 12:30 AM, the guys were still at the church working, as they had every night that week.  When they got to the hotel about 45 minutes later, it was a happy reunion.  We were SO happy to see Shaun and Amanda and they were SO happy to see us!  Amazing how long three days can feel!

Amanda had so sweetly made a bed for her and Aiden on the floor between the two double beds.  She wanted to be near him "in case he was scared".  This is how I found them in the morning.  :)

 After the wonderful, free buffet breakfast, the next order of business was the pool!  It was so warm and we had it to ourselves.



 We met up with Daddy for lunch...
 then it was naps until we headed over to the church for rehearsal since all the cast had arrived.  Amanda singing Does anybody know...what makes a man fall in and out of love, never knowing what he's got.  She's often heard around the house singing What's done in Vegas stays in Vegas...

Hey, not everyone agrees with our parenting style and we're okay with that.  :)

 My man, THE man.  There is nothing he doesn't know a ton about and no task that's too daunting.  He consistently amazes me.



After Shaun got some stuff done in the morning, we had several free hours so we took the 20 minute ride to DC.  We did the Air & Space Museum, mostly for Aiden's sake...he is crazy about airplanes and helicopters.  His Engineer daddy likes them a little, too.  :)




 We splurged and bought tickets to the amphitheater show, which really ended up being a larger-than-life education on Evolution....oh well.  :)
 Aiden is also into "panets" so when he spotted Jupiter outside the exhibit, we had to go in.
 The Wright Brothers and the C sisters.  Wonder what the girls will invent...



 While Shaun dealt with traffic, us girls hopped out to see the White House, which they'd been asking about.  Amanda was set on this finger photo thing and was upset that we didn't get it just right.

That's the Washington Monument.  Last time we were there, we were visiting Shaun's mom.  We went to the top but before we did we went through metal detectors that had big signs about "harmful if you are pregnant".  Turns out I was just weeks pregnant with Amanda and didn't know it.  Hmm...that might explain some things.  Kidding!!



 It was an amazing performance that night in front of a crowd of about 1000.  The next morning was church.  Shaun enjoyed his two hours of down time in our room watching football.
Then there was another performance.  My niece Madison is in the white.  Someday, somewhere you will hear about this girl.  Tearing it up on Broadway, changing lives in Africa...
And her mom, my sister Amy is Assistant Director and also part of the ensemble.
There's a really loud gun scene at the end.  I looked back and all three of the kids had their ears covered.

Its hard to explain Amanda's role in all this.  She feels very much like she is a member of the team and she is loved by many.  When I'm with her, I feel like I'm with a celeb. (I pulled these next 3 from FB...they just make me laugh).


Then comes tear down.  Aiden wanted SO much to help.  He wasn't able to do much (obviously) so he kept saying So and So is "being mean".  He's a good worker like his dad...eventually we found a few projects for him.

 Wow...what a production!
 Amy picked a great hotel for all of us to stay.  We were two minutes from the church and all the rooms (which were actually suites) opened to the common area downstairs, where we ate breakfast and gathered.
 Monday morning, we headed back.  The kids were beyond my wildest expectations good travelers.  Aiden shoved his blankie in his mouth, snuggled in and we didn't hear from him again.   The girls were super, too.

It got just a little crazy coming back.  I was heading into NYC, not 100% sure where I was supposed to go (am I ever??).  As I'm trying to make tunnel vs. bridge decisions and deal with increasing traffic, we are passing La Guardia Airport and the planes coming and going were VERY close.  Avery kept yelling, Mom!  Did you see that take-off??  Mom!  Did you see that land-off??

We made it home safely though.  :)  Awesome trip, lots of good memories!

Whoever wants to be great must become a servant. Whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave. That is what the Son of Man has done: He came to serve, not to be served—and then to give away his life in exchange for many who are held hostage.
Mark 10:44

3 comments:

  1. Nice recap!!! I'll be stealing a couple pix from here! It was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun!!! When I asked both Amys (individually) how it was, they both said it the SAME way: "SOOOOOO FUN!!!" Your recap proves it! Love the shot of Shaun with the kids under the tree, eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a lot of fun. I love how Amanda has that head tilt down pat - she is something else :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.