Tuesday, July 16, 2013

House Project {Week 15}

Hi.  :)

Lots of progress this week!  We finally wrapped up the time-consuming tile job in the master bath, so now things don't seem to be at such a stand-still.

We've had heat-wave after heat-wave, which is tough when you are working up on the third floor of an old house.  Shaun has a single A/C unit in the bedroom that helps make it bearable.  He also tried doing a third-shift thing, working nights and sleeping days, but for many reasons it didn't work out so he's back to sweating it out.

The kids (mostly the older three) were into playing house this week.  For the most part, they do an amazing job keeping themselves occupied.  Sometimes they play a group game, sometimes they pair off, they nap/rest, they help us work, they play math games on the computer (for the 30 minutes I can tolerate them being on screens), they ride bikes.  


 Grouting the shower.  It started drying much faster than expected, so at one point we had a four-person operation going with Shaun and I, Thomas and Nathan.

I'm so, so happy with how it turned out.  Shaun amazes me.
 The floor is completed, too and yes, the bidet went back in.  It weirds me out, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.  :)
See the door?  He swapped it so it swings out now to make room for the vanity.
 Speaking of bathrooms, we started in on the second one on the third floor.  This is kind of a spare room that we plan on keeping open for the occasional respites we do.  Normally we don't know the child/teen, so it'll be nice for all involved for them to have their own space.

Big props to Nathan and Thomas who carried the cast iron tub from the third floor to outside.  Now I need to sell it.
 And finally on the bathroom subject, the guys demo-ed the full, handicapped shower portion of the living room bathroom.  It was converted in recent history for an elderly in-law, but we couldn't see any reason to have a full bath off our living room.

Instead, we opened up the space and will put the outside door back in, keeping just the half-bath portion.
 Other than the fact that the TV will be in here, I think this is going to be one of my favorite rooms....I just love all the natural light.


 SO many trips to the home goods stores.  I know several employees by name.
 Nap time.
 The asbestos people came to remove it from the basement.  It was quite the production and (unexpectedly) shut my laundry down for five days.  Not cool with six people getting THIS dirty every day.
 I had a little date morning with my two boys.
The guys blew in more insulation, a hot and nasty job.  Thomas was outside running the machine and Shaun and Nathan were on the third floor feeding it down.  NOT fun!


 

 Visitors came by and the man introduced himself as someone who used to live in the house.  His parents owned it from the 50's to the 90's and that's where he grew up.  He walked around and relived memories, describing how things were and ways the house has changed.  Interesting.
 
While I took R back to camp, Avery and Shaun laid her bedroom floor.  She was wanting carpet (which we weren't fans of), but when she saw our bedroom floor done, it took no convincing to put a wood floor in her room too.  I just had to promise a rug.  :)


Complete!  With the last bit of trim and some closet work, the room will be done.
 So maybe its not always math games.  :)
Our bedroom

I lost most of the progress pictures of the floor and paint, but you get the idea.

The girls and I took a trip to get a new outside door for the living room, flooring for the living room and a mattress for our bed and the guest room.  So much fun hanging with these two!
With help, I loaded all of the goods AND I was pretty proud of my tie-down job...no flying mattresses on the highway!

We had a 45-minute ride home and the girls didn't want the A/C on.  I'm pretty sure we were the only ones on this 90+ degree day driving with our windows UP and the A/C OFF.  Girls after my own heart!  :)


2 comments:

  1. Lisa- It really is coming together. I love your paint colors too. The girls room is beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing the progress during your busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! I know you all are working so hard. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.