Thursday, May 21, 2009

Softball Begins!

Our softball season started a week ago, for the 13th season. We enjoy spending our summer evenings down at the park as a family. We've formed very special friendships with many of the other players and their families and the kids almost always have friends to play with and dirt to play in.

After the girls got up from their naps, I told them that we'd be going to Daddy's first softball game in the evening. Immediately, Avery took Amanda upstairs and they both put on warm clothes and socks and shoes. Then they came down and announced they were ready to go so I had to clarify that the game wasn't for another several hours. I thought it was sweet that Avery thought up the warm outfits and that Amanda let her help. And, it takes a special occasion for Avery to willingly wear her sneakers. Apparently they are not as fashionable as sandals or flip flops.

Although we have a new sponsor this year, Shaun is still coaching and I am keeping score. Really not much has changed except we've "gone green". Opening night was chilly and rainy but the girls didn't skip a beat. Turns out umbrellas are lots of fun to play with and puddles even more so.

I am reminded every day how different these two are. Avery hiked up her pants and carefully stepped through the puddle a couple times and called it good. Amanda ran full force through all puddles available, laughing as she did it.

Even though the team lost, it was nice to get the season underway. It was a little strange to get out of the car and, for the first time in four years, I didn't need to pull out the stroller and diaper bag. I gotta say, it was quite nice to travel light, though by the middle of the season I know I'll be hauling the stroller and diaper bag around again. For a good cause... :)

5 comments:

  1. love being out at the ballpark!!! I miss my kids playing...I think some of our best memories and friends were made out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can see who went through the mud puddles! hehe. cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great picture! Wonderful to have a sport to share with others !!

    Wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Softball season! I do love the absence of a suitcase full of supplies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like they had a great time. It's a familiar sight to me..dirty little people who are all soaked. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.