Friday, June 17, 2011

Had To Happen

It had to happen...Shaun's surprised it took this long.  Aiden made his first trip to the emergency room for stitches.  He was safely in his highchair eating grapes, but his highchair was not safely fastened to the kitchen chair.  Not sure what happened, but he landed on the tile and split his chin open.  

The girls had just left to go with my mom to their cousin's softball game and Shaun and I were getting ready to leave for his game.  We were both just around the corner and got to him immediately and it was clear he was going to require stitches.

SO thankful we live one mile from the hospital (very handy the three times I was in labor, too!).  Shaun was the ninth guy on the team for his game...if he didn't go they would forfeit the game so he had to leave.

Aiden was so charming to all the staff who came in and out and was incredibly patient during the two hours we were there.  He screamed during the cleaning out and stitching up part...in pain, but I also think he was not appreciating the straight jacket they had him in or the nurse whose job it was to keep his head immobile.  I held his little hands that were sticking out and talked to him for the 10 minutes it took to do the procedure.


Daddy picked us up and he and Aiden ate ice-cream and then watched baseball.  Apparently that makes everything better.  (Still holding the rubber glove that we spent lots of time playing with...I had no idea those could be so entertaining!)

When I took this picture Shaun said, You're going to blog this, aren't you?  Well...duh!  What kind of blogger would I be if this didn't make it??  :)
 He seemed fine this morning when he woke up, I think the worst of it is that his sisters are doting on him and spoiling him. :)



It was so strange that they girls were gone and that Shaun was not...so thankful I did not have to load up three kids and get there on my own!  Also very thankful there was no head trauma.

Shaun was a pretty laid back kid like Aiden but still managed to be at the hospital regularly for stitches and broken bones.  He thinks it might just follow that his son is similar.  Wish we had the good insurance  that Shaun's dad's employer provided. :)  I'm going to up my prayers for protection!

Now we have the challenge of keeping the area clean (he's a one-year old boy) and dry (he has a tooth coming through and is drooling endlessly).

God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray.
Psalm 43:7

2 comments:

  1. I was an unathletic slug & even I had stitches twice in my life (both times for being klutzy). It's a badge of honor :) Too bad he probably won't remember these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor Aiden!! looks like he is well taken care of though!!!

    I was in the ER today too with my 67 year old neighbor who fell in her yard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.