Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Completely amazing that its Thursday and not Monday!  I guess in that sense we are already into summer mode with the days buzzing past at an extra-fast rate of speed.  How about a little Thursday randomness?

Life is incredibly full and good right now and I really want to get back into documenting it.  I offer no excuses...you know how I feel about time and people's choices of how to use it....but I will say its taking a little adjusting having Shaun gone so much and at the same time wedding season is ramping up.

Oh, wedding season!  How I love what I get to do!  I have to do a reality check all the time.  Really...this is my life?  Amazing!  Yes, its WAY harder than I could have ever dreamed, but SO fun!

Here's a little tip for those of you not yet parents or for those of you who have not had little ones in a while.  If a child is doing something and the parent is there watching them do it, you do not have to say anything to the child or the parent.  Case in point:

Tuesday at soccer, standing on the sidelines in a light drizzle while Avery lightly jogs after the ball, making sure to stay in the back of the pack well away from the ball and any possible action.  Leash in hand, holding extra crazy dog because two other labs are there.  Young toddler is meandering around, picking me weeds flowers and bringing them to me one at a time saying here momma, pretty flower and me trying to take the precious gift with the same hand that is also trying to keep sweet toddler (with the wet-from-pee shorts) from being tackled by crazy dog.  Amanda is, with permission, riding her tiny little trike around the paved path and has stopped across the field to play with several dogs who are in a fenced-in yard.  I've been watching her closely because I can tell that the "playing with" has turned to teasing and the dogs are barking wildly and I'm trying to get her attention.

In the middle of this scene, a woman yells out, hey ma'am...your daughter is over there sticking her hands in the fence where those dogs are...she's gonna get bit.

Really not helpful.

The other instance was in the waiting room while Avery was at dance class.  For some reason Amanda had her Bear, whose ribbon (which is tied around his neck) she likes to stick up her nose, in her mouth or both.  She was sitting next to me on the floor while I read her stories when a mom walked past and said, oh honey...don't put that up your nose...it'll get stuck there.

Really not helpful.  And really not possible.

In other news, I'm looking forward to heading up to Boston to meet up with a blogger friend....someone I feel I know well but I've actually never met before.

Had a scare this week with my photo cataloging system (not the actual files).  All is well, but it made me re-check all my photo archiving systems.  Would you be ok if your computer crashed?  If not, do something...soon!

Well, that's it for today...I'll be back soon!

5 comments:

  1. Since I don't have kids, I'm always at a loss as to what to do in those situations. Sadly, I'd probably just encourage Amanda with the ribbon because I'd laugh at her. And I'm afraid of dogs, so I would be NO help in the other situation. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say anything.

    I really really need to do a backup of our computer! The pictures are backed up multiple places, but not my poetry or my blog or our financial stuff. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...sorry! If I'm concerned for a child's safty, I always look around for a mom or dad...If there IS one...and they are aware, I move on..(or ask if they need help)..I remember in IGA letting Syd, like 18 months...maybe just 2..ride on the SIDE of the car cart...rather than sitting inside...we were making our way to the register and she had been good so far, so why fight now about something silly. She was safe. So a woman reprimands HER! Not ME! So, knowing my Sydney, I stood back and let her reason with an over-tired, strong willed 2 year old with an ear infection about what was and what was NOT appropriate in IGA (after having permission from me to do it) AND Sydney stares at her...She doesn't get down..just stares. Eventually, Syd says to the woman. Wow! You have a blobbery eyeball. (The woman had very thick glasses)...The disrespect was NOT okay, and I let her know that...but I couldn't help laughing to myself.

    The only time I reprimand another person's child is if...they are hurting my child...OR are at my house and I am responsible for their safety!...(Recently I brought a girl with us to the beach and had to tell her that calling something "gay" was not acceptable...but...

    So, yeah, I get it...but as the girls get older, they sometimes listen to others better and I am starting to appreciate some helpful hints - to them - without me being involved. Sometimes the more people they hear it from, the bigger impact it makes.

    I DO have another one! lol...For V's birthday, we took out a brand new 21 speed bike and daddy drove it around the yard until she noticed. When she did, she made LOUD noises, ran over and was obviously elated. ...The woman says, "Hey V. I think a thank you is in order!" WHAT?! Thank-you's from her usually come at the end of the day, and directly from her heart...and I personlly don't need a thank you from my daughter. Seeing her love it is enough. Funny thing...she didn't ask her own daughter to thank us for inviting her to a really cool birthday party.....bla bla...sorry for the rant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories, Chelsea!! Would have loved to have witnessed the first one. :)

    Just to clarify, I am all for the village raising the children and do not for a second think that I can watch them all the time OR that they are angels. Our families correct them regularly and I appreciate that...its necessary.

    I guess its when I perceive that I have the situation under control and someone says something. But ultimately I understand, people are people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about the input from other voices...I guess we'll be getting quite a bit of that once school starts...I just don't think sticking a ribbon up your nose is a life-altering issue...unless, of course, you are 30 and still doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha...Lisa, I doubt Avery will be the subject of much reprimanding at school, but when V started public in second, the whole class would get "a talking to" and she would take it sooo personally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.