Friday, July 24, 2009

The Music Truck


One of the "benefits" of "city" living is that the ice-cream truck drives past our house and around our neighborhood at least once a day. Two summers ago when Avery was two, she got excited when she heard the music as we were taking our daily walk. With visions of whining and begging, I panicked a little and referred to it as the "music truck". Its not that we lie to our kids, because we don't. And its not that I can't say no, because I do, often. And its not that I would never buy them ice-cream from a truck, because I would. It just seemed to be a good answer at the time and it stuck.

Over the years its evolved though. It has now become "Daddy's Music Truck" since they associate the truck with softball games because nearly every evening they make their rounds through the park where daddy plays softball. So now when either Avery or Amanda (especially Amanda) hear the music, they drop whatever they are doing and come running to tell one of us that they heard the music truck so daddy has a softball game. I can't imagine them getting anymore excited about it, even if they knew ice-cream could possibly be involved.

This silly music truck comes by right on schedule every afternoon to cut Amanda's nap short by about 20 minutes. If she hears that music on either end of her nap, she is up, talking about how we have to get ready for softball.

And speaking of softball, here's some of the best fans around before our game Tuesday night. As soon as we tell them there is a game, they run upstairs to put their shirts on, even if its three hours before we need to leave. So cute!
So, do you think we can get through the rest of the summer without being "found out"?



9 comments:

  1. Lisa, we do the EXACT same thing! Savannah called it the Music Truck for the longest time - it wasn't until she was at the park one day and saw kids walking away with ice cream that she finally realized what was really going on. But still, half the time she still calls it a music truck. And thus far we have been able to avoid getting anything from there - not that I would never do it, but I'd rather go to Sonic or somewhere. Trust me, she still gets her little treats in!

    And...yes! It always comes by at naptime...it is SO terribly loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what happens when they figure out there is ice cream involved?!!

    But every time I heard it when my kids were small, it brought back such great memories of my childhood!!! running into the house to beg 10 cents, yep 10 cents, off my mom to get a bullet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing!!! Awe, their sweet, sweet innocent little faces. I LOVE their innocence! I can't wait to hear of the day they discover what is inside "daddy's music truck"... hehe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Aiden is changing so much. He's so sweet and looks like he's getting some awake time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids found out right away about the ice cream from the older neighborhood kids.
    Aiden has changed so. You can see all of the love the girls have for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you will make it the rest of the summer if it was named the "music truck" two years ago! You have way more will power than I, when I hear the music it is hard for ME to resist! HA!!! Congrats on precious baby Aiden's arrival! I'm sure you have heard this a few times but I am gonna say it again....He looks exactly like his dad! Just saying Hello and am still enjoying your blog daily!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my he is so cute. I am a little teary eyed seeing that outfit on Aiden. I have a great picture of Symeon wearing it with the hat sitting in his car seat. It is one of my favorite pictures of him and now he is running all over. Glad to see another beautiful boy in his clothes. love you all

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.