Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Countdown to School

School starts in just one week and for the first time we are sending a child out into the world.  I have so many emotions and I know I'm not the first mom to walk through this.  "Out there" seems so big and scary and though we treat her like a big girl here at home, she actually is only six.  Can that possibly be old enough for her to be ok without me for six hours and fifteen minutes a day?

We've spent the summer weaning her off of naps and instead she lays down with books and rests.  She's ready, age-wise and ability-wise, its just me who is not quite ready to let her go.

Shaun reminds me constantly that we are raising adults.  Children who will all too soon grow up and will need to be participating, contributing members of society.  So often, parents (me!) want their kids to stay young.  But really, they don't even belong to us.  Recognizing that God has a special plan, just for Avery is part of loving her.  I want her to be excited about growing up and finding the path God has already made for her.

We have had several meetings with the principal, we've talked with teachers and staff and we feel very at peace with sending her to St. Mary's.  Everyone has reasons for how and where their children are being taught and at this time, this is what works for us.  Their mission statement:

St. Mary - St Joseph School educates in an atmosphere of love and respect for “J.O.Y.” (Jesus, others, yourself). As a bi-parochial Catholic school, we challenge our students to develop their God-given talents and intellect. Through His Word and by our daily example, we nourish their spiritual growth. We are committed to providing students in grades pre-K through eight from W and the surrounding towns with a challenging academic program emphasizing Gospel values. We teach so that students will meet the future with a firm foundation of knowledge, skills and faith.  

Does that mean I'm totally ok with it?  Uh...no.

I'm sad that she will have to experience mean kids in the world.  I'm sad that she will learn she is not 100% accepted and celebrated by everyone for who she is.  That the Rupunzel food containers she is so excited about might get her laughed at.  That someone other than her mom and dad and family will suddenly take a very important place in and have a direct influence on her life.

I wonder who her friends will be and am praying there is a special girl there who will make a perfect BFF.  At moments I start to panic a little, thinking my time with her is done...as if my window of influence has closed.  Not true, of course, but I do wonder what kind of person she will be "out there".

Some things I will miss:
Going days and days without leaving the house
Being the one in charge of our family's schedule
Having my three kids with me all day
Feeling like I am able to protect Avery
The sound of Disney channel or PBS Kids in the morning over breakfast
Watching Avery and Amanda delightfully play together all day long
The luxury of going on vacation whenever we want to

Some things I'm looking forward to:
Watching Avery thrive at school...I know she's going to love it
Having more one-on-one time with Amanda
A built-in routine...there's always comfort to be found in that
Hearing how her first day went
Tucking love notes into her lunch bag
All the opportunities that will be opened up to her

The other night Avery and I went shopping to fulfill her school supply list.  We started with shoes and after trying on the sixth pair, I asked her, specifically, what she was thinking.  She said, They are all so...ordinary.  So I got down and explained, again, that she is going to a catholic school...pink and sparkles are not encouraged but everyone will look the same.  :)
Later, we grabbed some dinner at 9 pm and ate outside on a beautiful evening.  She's getting to be such good company.  I sure will miss her, yet I'm so happy for her and this new adventure she's going on.
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite bible passages.

    I feel it is always harder on the parents - the mom most of the time. And yes walking her to her classroom, maybe a few pictures, a hug or two and then waving to her as she starts her day - it will be difficult for the first few times. But like you said the joy to hear about her day when they come home. And I remember when my kids were smaller and in school they seem to look at home in a different way too. Like so glad to be here and what did you do today and whats for supper mom. Sometimes a little jealously from the older on what the younger got to do that day too.

    All of you have so much to look forward too !!! And Lisa you will be making new friends just like Avery - all the new moms. Have fun!! The Lord will be with all of you - hugs to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's going to do GREAT - she's SUCH a neat kid. But now I'm nervous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this. I will be praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate my dear friend. I sent Symeon to his first day of preschool and although he loved it Marin and I left crying. I have not been able to post about it just yet but your post was needed thanks for expressing some things I can't just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how well you put that. Such shared emotions. These are own children and though we may feel that we don't want to share them, Shaun is so right. They belong to the Lord first and He, so graciously shares them with us. You will see some positives and some drawbacks but it is part of training them. We will pray for Avery. Have fun with it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt just the same when my oldest went off to school. It gets easier after a few days, especially when they LOVE it, and it sounds like your girl will!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.