Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve

I have a plethora of photos from this past week, so I need to get them up here right away before I decide I'm overwhelmed by it and just forget the whole thing.  Christmas Eve is one of my very favorite days of the year.  Most of the Christmas prep is done, family is arriving and the anticipation that's been building is nearly at a climax.

For the last decade or so, we have celebrated Christmas Eve at my sister Amy's house.  We all go to church for the candlelight service and then we go back to her house for dinner and dessert.  Her in-laws, who have become dear to us are a part also.  Its just a fun, full, festive time.

This year, Avery was a part of the choir, comprised of adults, 4&5 year olds and grade K.  Her cousin Allison sang, too.  They did a beautiuful medley of Silent Night, Away in a Manger and Peace on Earth.  Avery didn't seem nervous at all, she was focused on the conductor and even remembered to smile.  We were very proud of her.

After their quick run through before service, Avery said (excidedly), "Look Mom...she has the same dress as me!"  I wonder at what age that will not be a good thing?


Our "little" group of family took up the better part of two rows.  You can see the proud papa in the stripe shirt watching his daughter on stage.  Amanda was not understanding why she couldn't be singing if Avery was.  "You're too little" is not a good enough answer for her.

Beautiful and powerfully moving to watch the light spread as each candle is lit and the house lights go down.  Silent night, holy night.

Pretty cousins!

My cousin Melody did not waste any time getting her hands on one of the three babies available.

My sister Amy hard at work.  She and her husband did an amazing job hosting, as always.

Family doing their thing...

Then we came back to my house, where the elves got to work putting bows on presents that had made the journey from New York and filling stockings.  The pool table was instantly transformed into a workbench.

Traditional Twas the Night Before Christmas reading.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.
Luke 2:4-7

4 comments:

  1. How perfect that the lyrics on the screen for the candlelight congregation picture says "Come into my heart, Lord Jesus"!!! Awe! :o) Amazing pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some GREAT shots of the service! And I'm totally impressed that you've already gotten them edited and on here...you motivate me lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite picture was of your husband smiling as he watch his daugther....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful Christmas.

    Christmas Eve services is one of my favorite times of the entire year too...such a beautiful time to reflect. Your shots turned out great.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.