Friday, December 4, 2009

O Christmas Tree

I used to have this thing about having to get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  One year we broke that; the year we moved into the house we are now in.  We closed on December 7th, so there was no point in setting one up in our old house.  Immediately after the closing, we got in the pick-up and went to pick out our tree...the biggest, fatest one we could find.  I hold that as such a sweet memory.  Anyway, in the last couple years, we've been thrilled that Shaun's grandmother has chosen to come stay with us over Thanksgiving, though by default, it makes that weekend a little busy.  That and we threw Amanda's birthday in the mix, too.

All that wasn't a huge deal, because we just went a few days late, but then each year we were paying another $5 over last year's price.  $40 to $45...I was losing my Christmas spirit writing that check.  So...last year I went on the great hunt to find the perfect, albeit artificial tree.  I found one I am very happy with that didn't cost too much.  In fact, after this year I will be ahead of the game.  So there, big bad tree farm, with your beautiful, well-cared for trees.

This September when I went up to the attic to get the autumn decorations, I spotted the tree...in a box.  Upon being reminded of the step I'd taken last year, I was a bit saddened, as I'd already envisioned our family of five trudging out in search of the perfect tree.  I never thought a fake tree would ever happen to me.  Don't ever say it can't happen to you...you just never know! 

The day after Thanksgiving, Shaun brought it down and set it up in about...oh, 15 minutes.  Amanda thought it looked a little bare, so she added a few decorations.



Can't tell what it is?  Look a little closer.


Avery was SO excited about it, too.  On Sunday we had a little pocket of time, so the two of us turned up the Christmas music and got to work.



This was one of her favorites...

...and this is one of mine


The finished product and the dining room tree, too.  It was a special time for the two of us!  And, I gotta say...no sweeping pine needles or watering...kinda really nice.


Then the trees of the forest will sing, they will sing for joy before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth.



I Chronicles 16:33

1 comment:

  1. This cracks me up...I have our Christmas tree post sitting in my drafts folder ready to go and it's all my reasons why this is the first year I have ever considered how wonderfully convenient an artificial tree would be...even though I have always said, "never"!

    Yours looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.