Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Had FUN!


Since Shaun has been working all the time, I haven't been able to threaten the kids with missing out on things that the group is doing because I have to take all three kids pretty much everywhere.  A couple times its been mentioned as a possibility to go to work with Daddy, but not a fun one.  Because of the lead paint all over the floors and walls, its dangerous for them to be walking around there and they know they'd have to be confined to a chair.

A couple weeks ago we were getting ready for church and Amanda was pitching a fit about something, and had passed the point of reason.  She was beside herself, even as we drove away.  About a minute from home she said, I don't want to go to church with you guys, I want to go to Center Street.  Quickly, Avery tried to talk some sense into her, as if Amanda was asking to go to the dungeon.

At this point I'd had it, so I turned the car around and dropped her off at Oak St where Shaun was.  He gave her the option to put the chair next to where he was working or next to the window so she could look out to the street below but told her she would have to sit there until I returned.

Shaun needed me to run an errand after church, so it was a full three hours before I returned.  As I walked into the room she looked me right in the eye and said, with an air, "I had a really fun time tonight".


After I took this picture Monday, Amanda asked to see it on the back of the camera.  She said, "Hmmm....I don't like the volume in my hair."  Volume?!?


One more...I had just read the girls a bedtime story and I pulled back the cover on Amanda's bed.  Under it, there was a pile of dog food.  I looked up and her eyes were wide as saucers and her face said Oh crap!  


Me: Amanda!  What is this?!?
Amanda: (continues to look at me, eyes wide)
Me: Why is this dog food on your bed?
Amanda: (eyes wide, swallows)
Me: Did you bring this dog food up here so you could eat a snack??
Amanda: (ever so contritely, in a small voice) You guessed the truth.


Then, I'll be honest...I busted out laughing at the ridiculousness of it.  She's always had a thing for animal food, but really?  At four and a half?


Or have you forgotten how good parents treat children, and that God regards you as his children? My dear child, don't shrug off God's discipline, but don't be crushed by it either. It's the child he loves that he disciplines; the child he embraces, he also corrects. 
God is educating you; that's why you must never drop out. He's treating you as dear children. This trouble you're in isn't punishment; it's training, the normal experience of children. Only irresponsible parents leave children to fend for themselves. Would you prefer an irresponsible God? 
We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God's training so we can truly live? While we were children, our parents did what seemed best to them. But God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God's holy best. 
At the time, discipline isn't much fun. It always feels like it's going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it's the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God.  
Hebrews 12:4


3 comments:

  1. Oh. MY. Goodness!!! Volume!? hahahaha! :) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! I swear your middle child and my middle child have WAY too much in common. Except I don't think my little guy worries about hair volume! Too funny, thanks for making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh...this girl of your cracks me up like nobody's business!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.