Friday, July 29, 2011

I Miss Mayberry





(Well) I miss Mayberry 
Sitting on the porch drinking 
Ice cold Cherry Coke 
Where everything is black and white 
Picking on a six string 
Where people pass by and you call 
Them by their first name 
Watching the clouds roll by 
Bye, bye 


I actually listened to the words of this song while it was playing on "CMT" in the car the other day and I thought, yeah, I really DO miss Mayberry!  


In my mind's eye, when I think of Mayberry the show with Andy Griffith, I see myself back on Parsonage Rd where I grew up.  My brother and one or two others of the four of us kids are taking a break from the sun, sitting in our bathing suits (which we also slept in), possibly eating some lunch or a bowl of ice cream.  Or maybe the bowl of ice cream (most likely a five-gallon bucket of Rocky Road) IS lunch.  Mayberry is on TV, one of the shows on my parents very short "approved for viewing" list.  In a while, we'll meander back out to the pool or maybe ride our bikes down to the General Store to buy a popsicle.  Ah...those were the days!


This summer has been at a frantic pace and while I've accepted where we are right now (on my good days!), part of me longs for the time when we can take it all down a notch and maybe even watch the clouds roll by.


In the meantime, here is a snippet of "summer" around here.





















As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

    “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Luke 10:38-42

6 comments:

  1. Loved this post! First of all...that song by Rascal Flatts..."I Miss Mayberry"..was great! I think sometimes we all wish for the simpler times...or the good ole days.

    But then when I looked at all of your summertime pictures of your kiddos and your hubby and the pool and the play...I think THESE are the good ole days!

    What a story they tell of family and fun...and love!

    You have many blessings! And they are blessed to have a mommy and /wife who sees the beauty of life...and who knows how to capture it in pictures and in her heart!

    Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so true. Many a days we get busy and forget the little things. I like another country song by Bucky Covington, "A Different World." Once you get past the advertisement and the first line there is so much truth in it. Check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your summertime pics of the kids - that Amanda dancing - she's such a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last picture of Avery took my breath away!!! beautiful!

    looks like your summer has been exactly what it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great summer and your enjoying each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.