Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Typical Walk


I love walking with the kids...its a win/win for everyone.  We all get fresh air, the dog and I get exercise and the kids love to talk and check out the sights around town.  This day we were headed to the river just a mile away where Trot is able to swim.


Amanda: Mom, I'll look for dead squirrels while I hold Trot.
Aiden: Trot died?
Amanda: No, Silly, Trot's not dead.
Aiden: Trot died?
Amanda: No, Trot's not dead.  That's Trot right there.
Aiden: Trot died?
Amanda: NO! Trot is NOT DEAD!
Aiden: Trot died?
Amanda: You have to get this, Bud.  Trot did not die.  (hands motioning) You have to get this, Bud.

Mercifully a bird or something crossed our path to change the subject.

We were on the return walk, which is all uphill.  By this time, I was struggling to push and steer (preferably at the same time).  Amanda wanted to hold Trot so I let her.  His leash got all tangled in the wheel so we came to an abrupt stop right in the middle.  With an edge I said, Amanda it would really help me out if you would watch Trot.  Half a block later, I said, Amanda, I'm sorry I yelled at you.  I was just out of breath and tired.  Then she says, That's ok Mom.  You know, sometimes life is hard and you just have to deal with it.  You choosed this and sometimes its hard.  Ha...nothing like hearing your own words come back at you through your child's mouth. :)

Farther up, Trot pulled away from her entirely and started running around recklessly, not caring one red cent that I was calling to him. After about five minutes a lady came out from her porch.  Here, I'll help you.  Ah, no...that ok...And she was off and chasing the dumb dog.  When she got close, she laid out like she was going for a flyball in the Majors and her paycheck depended on it.  Horrified, I watched as, from her belly, she triumphantly lifted up her hand holding the leash.  I got him!  Oh. My. Word.

After I'd thanked this crazy kind lady and we were off, Amanda said, WOW, Mom!  Did you see that?!?  She fell on her belly to get Trot!  Avery was duly impressed, too.

I spent the rest of the walk home coming up with a new name for Trot.  I think I've settled on Pitr (as in pain in the rear, pronounced Peter).   Its got a nice ring to it, don't you think?

5 comments:

  1. oh my word, this made me laugh this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the chuckle this morning.
    Glad Amanda did not hang on to that leash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! That conversation between Amanda and Aiden is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny and our reality, too! I can't do all three AND the dog. Someone would get killed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.