Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rapunzel Hair


Avery and I were browsing through books at the store and she stumbled upon several diaries (with locks!) on the clearance shelf.  It brought me back to when I was young, spending lots of time writing Dear Diary (oh how I wish I still had them!).

These were different than the ones I wrote in way back when.  These are more interactive, fill-in-the-blank, answer the prompts.  

As I glanced through the different options, I noticed many pages were about boys and secret loves, etc.  Not sure what 13 year-old would still enjoy a Princess diary, but hey, I'm not there yet so I don't know.  We settled on the Rapunzel one because there was no mention of boys!

Avery dove right in and started filling it all out.  Somewhere in the middle was "Rapunzel's Hair Care Secrets".  Included are step-by-step instructions on how to wash your hair and keep it healthy.  

Avery, and Amanda who was involved by this point, declared they wanted "Rapunzel hair".  They hopped in the shower and washed their hair, being careful to rinse it really well.

 When they got out I combed their hair really well and gave their ends a little trim.  Avery kept asking me if I had read the "recipe".
 When I was done with Avery's hair she looked in the mirror and, almost in tears said, It doesn't look like Rapunzel's hair!  I paused, not sure if she was joking or not.  No...she was serious.

Well honey, you are beautiful and Rapunzel isn't even real.  


What do you mean??

Again, after checking to see if she was serious, I started backpedaling a bit.  If she wants to believe in Princesses a while longer, I'm not going to ruin that.

Well...she has a professional taking care of her hair.  (yeah...a professional artist)

Yeah, Amanda said Rapunzel is an actress.


Ok.  Well, actressess have someone who does their hair.  Someone like Auntie Bethany comes and takes care of their hair.

 Amanda was also very disappointed that she did not have shiny, golden, longer hair after our little beauty treatments.
Wow...really didn't see any of this coming!

They were pulled together by the time Daddy got home and he was able to tell them that their hair looked beautiful.

I guess some good that has come from this is the girls have been asking for fruit because the book says that fruits and vegetables help promote healthy hair.  That, and there have been some good life lessons that we've been able to talk about.


Now when the turn of each maiden came to go in to King Ahasuerus, after the regulations for the women had been carried out for twelve months--since this was the regular period for their beauty treatments, six months with oil of myrrh and six months with sweet spices and perfumes and the things for the purifying of the women--
    Then in this way the maiden came to the king: whatever she desired was given her to take with her from the harem into the king's palace.
Esther 2:12,13


3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was traumatic for them when they realized the "recipe" didn't leave them with long, golden locks...and oh that sad little face on Amanda...but such a sweet picture of little girlhood. Don't you miss those days of sweet innocence when princess existed in faraway castles? What else really mattered? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was a kid we had this netting (fish net? In piedmont NC? why?) - I would put it on my head & pretend I had long fabulous hair. Then at some point it became MEDUSA hair & I chased my brother around with it. Ha! I hadn't thought of that in years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are not mad that I am laughing my head off! Reminds me of when my girls learned that muscles were heavier than fat and spent hours running around the house and doing situps. Then they would weigh themselves. I was worried that they were trying to get skinnier but they were so upset that their weight was going down and not up. They thought the were going to gain 10 pounds in one day! Amandas face is soooo sad! Clairea has some fun wigs. Vanessa actually wore one to school the other day and nobody picked on her (to her face anyway).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.