Thursday, January 26, 2012

Our Foster Care Journey, Part IV




So, why are we doing this?

I could spend an entire week of posts talking about our reasons why we've decided to get into foster care.  (Incidentally, I could also spend that same week listing out all the reasons why we could not, should not, would not....yes, I have at least a week's worth of "buts")  However, the very simple answer is that God gave us this burden and spoke to our hearts.

We have enough history with Him to know it goes better for us when we do the things He's called us to do...we also know, from experience and based on His promises, that He only has the very best intended for us.

Five minutes on Yahoo News will leave you shaking your head, wondering what this world has come to. Reading statistics like 15 million children will die of hunger every year,  or in the U.S. in 2009 there were 3.3 million child abuse reports and allegations, involving about 6 million children....more than 5 of those children die every day as a result of child abuse.

Depressing, isn't it?  Overwhelming, right?

The truth is, there is simply no way we can help 6 million children.  But maybe, just maybe, one child at a time, we can make a difference.  We are ready to get our hands dirty in the process of loving the lost.

But when he heard it, he said, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.'  Matthew 9:12

I love my family, our life.  Its neat and simple and pretty.  I am comfortable with and happy about the tidiness of it.  Its manageable, fairly predictable.  I like things just the way they are.

Yet...I want what God wants.  I want to lay down my life to do the work He has for me.  Will this bring pain into my life?  To be sure.  Will I miss life as we now know it?  Probably.  Our life may get messy and lose some of its prettiness but my prayer is that it is beautiful to the One who matters most.

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”  CS Lewis


I've talked extensively with another foster mom in our church.  She has told me to be prepared for people's reaction...She said, they'll either say you are a saint or crazy.  :)  We are neither...just trying to be obedient, doing what we feel compelled to do.


Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:16


The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. ~ Corrie Ten Boom


Tomorrow is Q & A...if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you.  :)














4 comments:

  1. you'll be great at this, and your family will be a blessing to many. i have never read the CS Lewis quote you listed but it speaks volumes to me...wow. thanks Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt and uncle did foster care for 30 years and had 4 of their own children. They got mostly babies right from the hospital. She had newborn clothes ( boys and girls) and they would get the call and my uncle would bring up the box.

    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should of ended it that they found such joy in this. They actually were Elizabeth's foster parents. That is how the whole thing started. She needed a home and called us. They also adopted 2 of their foster children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Our life may get messy and lose some of its prettiness but my prayer is that it is beautiful to the One who matters most."

    best sentence. praying this for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.