Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday's Walk ~ Spain

Sunday morning I was driving home from the gym, thinking about God's goodness and how very blessed I am.  The sun was shining warm and I just knew it was going to be a good day.

My neighbor stopped me as I was walking into the house.  

Lisa, just wanted to let you know we'll be gone for a couple weeks...we're going to Spain.

And just like that my heart sank.  Spain!  Had I not taken the get-married-at-nineteen-work-full-time-while-going-to-school-part-time-for-twelve-years route, I am certain I would have ended up doing a semester in there.

Was it regret I was feeling?  No, not even a twinge.  Longing?  Yeah, I guess that's it.

It struck me hard.  What had changed?  Minutes ago I was happy and blessed and, just like that, I was discontent.  

As the five of us walked down to breakfast, I took inventory:  Aiden, walking along side me, hand in hand.  Two girls excitedly skipping up ahead, in as matching as they could find outfits and a sexy husband somewhere in the middle, making sure everyone was safe.

And I realized, at least for now, I've traded Spain for this.  

I've traded the big annual vacations we used to take to tropical places, I've traded quiet romantic dinners, I've traded a neat and tidy house where all my things are sacred...I've traded all these things and so much more for these four precious people walking with me and this life we are living....and I'd do it again and again.

The time for Spain will come....or maybe it won't.  Regardless, I'm going to make a daily choice to be happy and thankful. 

And...I want to thank my mom and dad for giving me the opportunity to go to Europe with my Foreign Language Travel Club while I was in highschool.  Looking back, I realize what a great sacrifice it was to come up with that money, to send me to a place you'd never been.  Thank you for that experience!


The LORD knows all human plans; he knows that they are futile.
Psalm 94:11

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling...it just takes a little twinge of longing or jealousy to make you feel like you don't have enough...I had that recently, too, and I had to do just what you did: remember the blessings I DO have in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! We all have these moments and need to look around and pull ourselves back in to see what we do have... love this post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.