Tuesday, October 11, 2011

31 Ways to Live in Peace, Day 11



Write Things Down

Out of necessity (that's often the best way, isn't it?), I've started researching and studying time management principles to help me be more effective with my time.  That search brought me to s great book that I've been working through, The Art of Getting Things Done by David Allen.  I borrowed it from the library but I should probably buy it because its going to taken me longer than six weeks to work through and it would be nice to make notes in it.

Allen writes:

The big problem is that your mind keeps reminding you of things when you can't do anything about them.  It has no sense of past or future.  That means that as soon as you tell yourself that you need to do something, and store it in your RAM, there's a part of you that thinks you should be doing that something all the time.  Everything you've told yourself you ought to do, it thinks you should be doing right now.  Frankly, as soon as you have two things to do stored in your RAM, you've generated personal failure, because you can't do them both at the same time.  This produces an all-pervasive stress factor whose source can't be pinpointed.


Most people have been in some version of this mental stress state so consistently, for so long, that they don't even know they're in it.  Like gravity, it's ever-present--so much so that those who experience it usually aren't even aware of the pressure.  The only time most of them will realize how much tension they've been under is when they get rid of it and notice how different they feel.


Essentially, our brains are contantly working in the background, trying desperately to keep track of the things we need to do, appointments we've made, people we need to call or email, laundry that needs to come out of the washing machine and on and on and on.  Unless we set up a system to keep track of it all, the "back of our minds" will never be at rest because we will always be wondering, often subconsciously, what we've forgotten.

In order to maintain peace, write your thoughts, projects, to-do's, etc down in a system that works for you.  (I'd love to hear about yours).



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! Writing things down is one of my primary stress-relievers and peace-gainers. My favorite planner is a MOLESKINE planner: one side of the page is a daily calendar with room for my to-do list and appointments, and the other side of the page is blank with room for writing the rest of my to-do's and reminders to myself that don't fit squarely into a day. So, I have a daily to-do list and a weekly to-do list. Then I also write out a monthly schedule for myself on just a blank piece of paper that lists the major things I need to accomplish that month and the primary focus of each day.

    I also write little smiley faces and encouraging notes to myself in my monthly plan when necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get older this is a necessity - I simply won't remember it if it's not written down. I'm at a computer practically 24/7 & I use Microsoft Outlook for my email at work & home. I put appointments on my calendar in both places, & I use the task list to remind me of to-do items. I'm guessing my system wouldn't work for a busy mom who DOESN'T use a computer while working (unless you count your camera).

    I have a friend who uses one of those daily planner things (Covey or DayTimer or some such). She calls it her brain :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.