Saturday, October 15, 2011

31 Ways to Live in Peace, Day 15



Memorize Scripture

To some this may sound boring or impossible, but it is great way to manage your thought life.  What thoughts race through your mind when you are driving or trying to sleep or cooking?

Memorizing scripture can help us manage the things that our mind is dwelling on.  I love Beth Moore's words on it

Look at it this way: you’re going to be meditating on something: unforgiveness, toxic memories, misery, lust, greed, dissatisfaction, jealousy, competition. Choose Scripture!  [Proverbs 23:7 says]  as a man thinks, so is he. He also said His words are spirit and life. This is work worth doing, Sweet Thing. Never – NOT ONCE – have I ever known anyone to get to the end of a Scripture memory commitment and say that it didn’t make any real difference. Not a single time.

I have found her method to be the most effective for me.  The highlights:

  • choose a verse that means something to you in your present season or circumstance
  • stick with only one verse to memorize each time.  Keep it simple and meaningful.
  • write the verse by hand in your own spiral.  Take that spiral with you everywhere you go. Read it and read it and read it and read it
  • be accountable to someone
If you've never tried it before, or if its been a while, why not?  Imagine the peace you could experience if, instead of being at the mercy of the thoughts your mind defaults to (you know the ones!),  you were purposely making your mind meditate on God's goodness and promises?

 
Nicole Mullen
Chorus: I need a brainwash from my head to my soul ~
I need a brainwash, bring it down to my toes ~
I need a brainwash in and out ’cause you know ~
I need a B-R-A-I-N double wash*
Overwhelmed by the stuff on TV ~
Overloaded from the pressure fallin’ on me ~
light head! Oxygen! I’ve gotta breath *
Email, Myspace, backin’ up all the time ~
Voicemail, press one if you’re on the line ~
Transformer, can you renew my mind?
Smack dab in the front of my mind ~
All that I’ve done wrong ~ Re-play and rewind ~
How can I erase it forever this time *
Smack dab in the pit of my soul ~
This guilty feeling’s diggin’ a hole ~
And my thoughts are spinnin’ out of control
The world is straight typical to rock the traditional ~
Kinda keep it real life livin’ mind simple though ~
My past is in remission ~ Thrivin’ on my conditions ~
I need a turn around ~ A fresh way to get down ~
Comin’ straight from Jersey roamin’ in the land of the dirty south, free ~
Escapin’ misery ~ With a Christ mentality ~ The only way to have it ~
Living word habits ~ Feels nice dippin’ me twice ~
Yo, ah I need a Brainwash… (Chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.