Wednesday, October 5, 2011

31 Ways to Live in Peace, Day 5


Be Flexible

NOT my strong suit, yet I know from experience that refusing to be flexible will steal my peace (and joy) in 2.2 seconds.  You would think growing up in a family of six that I would have learned it early on.  In reality, its been a slow learning process for me to gain flexibility.

Most of the learning has come by way of realizing this life is not about me.  People are not here on this earth to fit into my agenda, accomplish my goals.  There really is very little I can do to control others, so that leaves me.  I can control how I react to a situation that asks me to be flexible.  If I can practice keeping a flexible attitude, then I will have peace despite what's going on around me.

For those of us (me!) who like things to happen a certain way (MY way) this lesson is easier read than done, but when you think of it in terms of trading non-flexibility for peace, well...that makes the choice much easier to figure out.

4 comments:

  1. I disagree - life IS all about me. No? Hmmm.

    You're so right that being flexible is a big key to peace. I remember going out to eat with a particular friend who was very particular about her meal & would be unable to enjoy herself if it wasn't to her specifications. I, on the other hand, was happy to be eating actual food with a friend, so I usually didn't care if I ended up with chicken instead of shrimp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Definitely a challenge for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great words, great photo! i love fall photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, you and I are like long lost sisters. I can so relate to your innate struggle with flexibility. I, like you, am being bent & changed as I mature by God's grace. Thanks for this reminder today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.