Wednesday, October 19, 2011

31 Ways to Live in Peace, Day 19


Discipline Your Children

Having only been a mother for six years, I don't really feel qualified to hand out a bunch of parenting advice.  I read about it, pray about it and try to glean as much as I can from women who have gone before me in this parenting adventure, whose children are proof that they did a few things right.

One thing I've noticed from observing is, the peace factor is greater in the families of the well disciplined children, both young and old.

The Book of Proverbs is full of advice for raising children....one I know to be true and say to myself often throughout some days is:



A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; 
   love your children by disciplining them. Proverbs 13:24


Doing the hard work of disciplining and teaching will pay off when they are two and twenty.



My son, obey your father’s commands,
      and don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.
 
Keep their words always in your heart.
      Tie them around your neck.
 
When you walk, their counsel will lead you.
      When you sleep, they will protect you.
      When you wake up, they will advise you.
 
For their command is a lamp
      and their instruction a light;
   their corrective discipline
      is the way to life.

Proverbs 6:20-23





2 comments:

  1. great scripture!
    i find that once they know you are not just their 'boss' but that you are completely on their side, and that everything is done out of LOVE, they will be far more likely to hear our words and keep our instruction. it seems to take years to devolop this relationship but it is the one thing i see as key in the parent child relationship. however, i do not claim to know it all when it comes to parenting. i thank God for the grace He has given me in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES - just like God's discipline helps refine us and lead us on the right path, disciplining our children helps to shape the men and women they will one day become. I've been reading this blog lately and it's so encouraging: http://joyfuljava.blogspot.com/search/label/Parenting%20Handbook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.